Thursday, March 08, 2007

Time and Money

I realize the dangers of generalization, but it seems to me that, culturally, Africans have a different sense of both time and money. When you've got them, you spend them, and then you run out.

Let me explain. Rev. Mufika had an important essay that had to be typed and emailed on the Monday we arrived in Kolwezi. As he put it, he would be in trouble if he didn't get it in that day. Instead of going directly to the guest house from the airport so I could type the essay (and have lots of time to do so), we swung by Pastor Jean Louis' house for a meal. We waited 3 1/2 hours while the meal was prepared -- it was about 1:15pm before we finally ate, and this was our first meal of the day!

Meanwhile, the evening classes were starting at 5pm, and I had an essay to type! We arrived at the guest house and I literally sat in the chair at the desk and typed until the essay was finished.

It seems to the African mind, there is "now", and there is "then (or, perhaps, "later"). Rev. Mufika didn't seem to appreciate the fact that I needed several hours to type his essay; there was a meal pending, this was "now", and the essay would be "then", or later.

The same seems to go for money. When you've got it, you spend it, and then it's gone. There seems to be little planning for the future, or rationing to make something last. A good example is "talk time". Instead of having a monthly account, which wouldn't work because Africans typically would run up a bill in the month that they would have no ability to pay, Africans buy "talk time" which they load into their cell phone accounts. I recall one time there were at least four Africans and me and I was the only one who had "talk time" on his cell phone. Everyone else was talked out.

The solution to poverty is not money. Let me say that again in case you missed it. The solution to poverty is not money. It is attitude change, or attitude development. It is acquiring the western ideas of planning for the future and its corrollary, deferred gratitude in the present.

No comments: